We are pleased to bring you the latest issue in a series of short news briefs based on the results of our Speak To Your Health! Community Survey. This month’s topic is Coping with Financial Stress. Here are some highlights:
- Of Genesee County residents, 49% often worry about their financial situation and 48% view their financial situation to be much worse than the previous year.
- 71% of Genesee County residents reported having some to extreme difficulty living off of their total household income. Of Flint residents, 82% reported financial difficulties with their total household income.
- Of Genesee County residents, 49% reported that they pay off their credit card bills each month. However, of Flint residents only 34% reported the same.
- Only 60% of Genesee County residents reported no trouble sleeping due to financial problems. Only 51% of Flint residents reported no finance-based sleeping troubles.
- Only 56% of Genesee County residents reported no concern
for being able to afford adequate health insurance.
Speak To Your Health! news briefs are simple and short, with the purpose of drawing attention to important health issues facing Genesee County residents. They also contain information and resources in Genesee County that might prove useful.
Topics featured in back issues of the briefs include: Mental Health Awareness, Alcohol Awareness, Nutrition, Diabetes, Physical Activity, Race and Health, Breast Cancer Screening, Sleep and Health, Incarceration and Mental Health, Preventing Sexually Transmitted Infections in Genesee County, Working Towards a Smoke-Free Genesee County, Access to Healthcare Services in Genesee County, and Men’s Physical Activity and Nutrition. All of the briefs are available in both PDF and Word versions here on our website.
To learn more, visit the new Speak To Your Health! Community Survey website featuring general information, map libraries, and tables for each year of the Genesee County survey, including the 2011 survey. To access the data you will need to create a login and password for the site.